The dating scan is the scan that occurs shortly after the wonderful news is revealed. While some people recognise the value of dating scans, others avoid them because they believe they are useless. That, however, is not the case.
A dating scan can aid in the early detection of complications in pregnancy. A dating scan can help you clear the following things for a safer and healthier pregnancy journey.
- A dating scan confirms how many weeks pregnant you are
- Based on that, a due date/ estimated delivery date is decided
- It says if you are pregnant with one or two babies
- Whether or not the baby is growing in right place and is not ectopic
- You get to hear your baby’s heartbeat for the first time
- The growth of the embryo is checked upon to confirm normal growth rate
When performed between 7 and 11 weeks of pregnancy, the dating scan provides more accurate and unambiguous information. The expected delivery date is determined by measuring the embryo’s length.